1.07.2012

My Thoughts: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next DoorCover: Cute.
My Thoughts:
After reading Anna and the French Kiss, I knew I would be reading the next book written by Stephanie Perkins.

Lola is an off-beat, quirky 17 year old girl who is crazy about fashion and her older musician boyfriend Max.  Her 2 dads of course don't approve of him, but she is happy.  That is until twins Calliope and Cricket Bell move back in to the house next door.  Lola hasn't seen Cricket in 2 years, since he moved away and left her confused.  She doesn't like him, she doesn't want to see him, she wishes he would just stay away....or does she?  She loves Max. She wants to be with Max. Right?

So I totally loved the fact that Anna and Etienne from Stephanie's first book show up in this one, Anna as Lola's co-worker, and Etienne as Cricket's dorm mate at Berkley. I still love me some Etienne.
The writing style flows and is easy to follow.  I like that Lola wears weird outfits and has gay dads. I wish I lived next door to a Cricket (boy, not insect), though it is a tad bit difficult to fantasize about a boy who has a name that reminds me of my nemesis: bugs.Overall, I like the characters, I like the story, and I like Lola. But not as much as I loved Anna.

Favorite Quotes:
"Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring"

"It's easy to talk about things we hate, but sometimes it's hard to explain exactly why we like something.:

"Need. What a powerful, frightening word."

"That's the thing about depression. When I feel it deeply, I don't want to let it go. It becomes a comfort. I want to cloak myself under its heavy weight and breathe it into my lungs. I want to nurture it, grow it, cultivate it. It's mine. I want to check out with it, drift asleep wrapped in its arms, and not wake up for a long, long time."

Final Thought:  Although predictable at times, Lola and the Boy Next Door is a sweet, cute read that made me smile. 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment