9.17.2012

My Thoughts: Slammed (Colleen Hoover)

Slammed (Slammed, #1)Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart. (Goodreads Blurb)





My Thoughts:

Slammed is one of those books that just sucked me in. The writing was easy, the characters came to life and the story was well written.  I laughed, I cried, I loved, I swooned.  I freaking loved this book to pieces and it slammed its way into my heart.
The story of Slammed was written in such a way that I felt completely immersed. It was so realistically realistic. I felt like the characters could be anyone. Layken as a main character was highly likeable. It’s the small things that really helped me attach to her, like when she pretends to be a zombie and chases her little brother around or the incident with the Darth Vader bedroom slippers.    The relationship Layken has with her mother is, again, realistic. It’s not perfect, but what relationship is? There is immediate chemistry between Layken and Will when they first meet; they're cute and awkward and I love them.  And speaking of Will…I was in need of a new favorite bookish boy. Why can't he be real?? ARG.  This book only helped cement my love of boys-next-door (or in this case boys across the street).
2 of my favorite things about this book:
#1 Poetry slams!! Before reading this book, my knowledge of poetry slams was what I’ve gathered from television. All I could think about was the episode of Boy Meets World when Cory gets up and slams TOPANGA! I imagined a dark room filled with people wearing berets drinking espresso and contemplating the universe. The poetry slams in this book RULE!  And I want to go to one!   It’s not just about reading lines off a page; it’s about performing something that lets people “see a glimpse into your soul”.  Who knew poetry slams could be so cool? I know I didn’t. The poems that were presented during the slams were very touching, especially the one Will does at the end of the book. It definitely spoke to my soul.
#2 I love books that include song lyrics. Whether they are given at the beginning of the chapter, as is done in Slammed, or at the end or just randomly scattered. Song lyrics can add a lot of depth and meaning to a story. As did all the Avett Brothers lyrics that were included in this book. I’ve never listened to this band, but they are poets in their own right and I will definitely be checking them out now.
Overall, this book was a slice of apple pie heaven that I want seconds of. Oh that’s right, the second book is already out! Point of Retreat, we'll be meeting very soon.
Favorite Quotes:
“Despite my objections I realize, almost pathetically, that I have just experienced the most passionate kiss I’ve ever received from a guy and it was on the freaking forehead.”
“Forever I will move like the world that turns beneath me. And when I lose my direction, I’ll look up to the sky. And when the black cloak drags upon the ground I’ll be ready to surrender, and remember well we’re all in this together. If I live the life I’m given, I won’t be scared to die.”- The Avett Brothers
Bottom Line: To NOT read Slammed by Colleen Hoover..well that’s NOT a good idea. J 4.5/5
I've included the very funny video of a poetry slam courtesy of Boy Meets World. You're welcome.


2 comments:

  1. I love this book so much.

    And oh my goodness, please please please listen to The Avett Brothers!!! They are so amazing, they really are. When you included their quote at the bottom of your blog post, my mind automatically turned it into the song that it is from at about the third or fourth word.

    But really, this book is WAY better than just slams and songs. It is a fantastic book. Point of Retreat is really good too. I haven't blogged about that one yet, but I enjoyed it too. But WOW I couldn't believe how good this one is. I really don't know what else to say about it without gushing and mumbling! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it so much! I'm glad you reviewed it because I never would have probably read it or heard of it otherwise. Same for the Avett brothers !

      Delete