3.22.2012

My Thoughts: Five Flavors of Dumb (Antony John)

Five Flavors of Dumb

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?

Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.  (Goodreads Summary)



Cover:  I really dig this cover; it's cool, it's hip, it's unique.

My Thoughts:  So when I read the synopsis of this book, it sounded like it should be good. I blew through this book in a day, and although I wasn't left with that "OMG that was incredible" feeling after I finished, I'm glad I read it. Part of the appeal for me was that it was based around a band.  If I could come back for another life I would totally want to be in a band. Who wouldn't?

 I was also attracted to the main character, Piper, being deaf.  This is what gave the book a twist and helped make the story interesting.  The dynamics between her and her family were real and honest.  You get to see the growth and positive change of a lot of the characters, which I appreciated, especially with her dad.  I loved the character of Ed.  Having a boy join the chess club, that he doesn't even enjoy, only to be subjected to never winning a single game just to be near the girl he likes...well that's sweet. I enjoyed getting to know the different band members and seeing how Piper deals with the challenges she faces because she's deaf.  I also appreciated the fact that the author didn't take the route of making Piper feel sorry for herself or having her view herself as disabled. This book also had some funny moments that made me giggle.

Favorite quotes:
"I watched Josh strutting, Ed practicing, Kallie hiding, Will spacing, and Tash gazing at Will, and realized that Baz was right. This wasn't a group at all. There was no togetherness, no blending-just five separate flavors of an indigestible dish called Dumb."

"I turned off the light and crawled into bed. I wanted to fall asleep, to escape the thoughts clawing at my consciousness, but instead the evening just replayed in my mind, a crappy movie on endless loop."

"It was the smallest, gentlest, most earth-shattering kiss in the long and glorious history of kisses, and it took my breath away."

Final Thought:  An enjoyable read. 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment