7.01.2013

June Recap!

June, June, June. Usually I'm NOT a fan of summer months because I can't stand the heat! BUT this month was awesome for one simple reason..... I am NOW officially WORKING FROM HOME! And it is, in a word, magical! It's even more amazing then I dreamed it would be.  The job I have is strictly computer based so it works out well.  I roll out of bed and I'm at work! I can stay in my jammies all day. Maybe I'll take a shower, maybe I won't.  No one has to smell me or look at me so who cares! Then when I clock out, I'm home! WOOT.

ALSO this month, I went to a Neil Gaiman signing in Washington, D.C.!! I'll link my post for that down below.  It ended up being the LONGEST day of my life, but the actual seeing Neil Gaiman part was SUPER cool.  It was crazy crowded! But my book buddy Jessica was there with me so that made it better! 




Lastly, I just got back from spending 5 days at Lake Anna. My dad has a house there and some family and friends of his came down for some of the time.  The weather was perfect. My baby vampire skin got a LITTLE crispy.  Even with several layers of SPF 50.  We saw all sorts of wildlife: beaver, groundhog, deer, squirrels, rabbits, snake, fish, turtles. There's no Internet or cable T.V. so you basically are forced to enjoy the relaxation and the water and I got a LOT of reading done. I read 4 books, and one of those was 600 pages. WOOT.  It's always nice to just GET AWAY from life for a little bit.



Now...ON TO THE BOOKS!

I read a TON this month which is awesome! 

For my TOTAL for June I read 16 BOOKS and 3 Graphic Novels!!
AND I read 9/12 books that were on the TBR list I made at the beginning of the month which is beyond great for me. I NEVER EVER stick to a TBR list, this is the first time. So I'm proud of that!

Books Read:

Love and Other Perishable ItemsNotorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19)A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol.1That SummerFriends with Boys
Black City (Black City, #1)The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)InvisibilityThe Song of AchillesBlankets
Dreamland The Night CircusThe Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
ForbiddenLover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)Everneath (Everneath, #1)Fangirl
 
 

1. Love and Other Perishable Items (Laura Buzo) - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book! Very cute and funny. 4/5
2.Notorious Nineteen (Janet Evanovich) - Nothing special. Same ole same ole. 3/5
3. A Game of Thrones - Graphic Novel, I did not like the artwork for this graphic novel. The people looked too similar.  Wasn't wowed.  3/5
4. That Summer (Sarah Dessen) - My least favorite Sarah Dessen book. 3/5
5. Friends With Boys (Faith Erin Hicks) - Graphic Novel, I really enjoyed this one! Loved the artwork and the story. Will buy a copy for my shelf. 4/5
6. Black City (Elizabeth Richards) - The first half was good and then it all went downhill and I ended up disappointed. I blame the romance.  2.5/5
7. The Madman's Daughter (Megan Shepherd) - Loved this one. Couldn't put it down. The love triangle got a little annoying but I was able to look past that because the story was just so good! 4.5/5
8. Invisibility (Andrea Cremer & David Levithan) - There were moments of beautiful writing, but the story fell flat for me. 3/5
9. The Song of Achilles  (Madeline Miller) - Pretty good, liked the romance and the main characters. But wasn't left satisfied.  3.5/5
10. Blankets (Craig Thompson) - Graphic Novel, Really enjoyed this one. Loved the black and white artwork. Great story. Easy to get through. 4/5
11. Dreamland (Sarah Dessen) - Well written but just not what I wanted. 3.5/5
12. The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern) - One of the most beautifully descriptive books I have EVER read. Incredibly woven storyline. 5/5
13. The Gates (John Connolly)- This one was very disappointing. Didn't like the writing or the story. 2/5
14. Shadow & Bone (Leigh Bardugo) - REREAD, just as amazing the second time around! FANTASTIC read. 5/5
15. Siege & Storm (Leigh Bardugo) - Great sequel! 5/5
16. Forbidden (Tabitha Suzuma) - Conflicted feelings about this one. DEF takes you out of your comfort zone. Liked the male main character. Not a fan of the female main character. HATED the ending. 3.5/5
17. Lover at Last (J.R.Ward) - I have been waiting to read this for SOO long! Blay and Qhuinn FOREVER. However, I feel like the author added too much other crap in that I had to skim through. Because of that it gets a 4/5.  The Blay and Qhuinn parts though...SMOKING HOT!
18. Everneath (Brodi Ashton) - Not a bad read, but I wasn't blown away. I feel no desire to continue the series. 3.5/5
19. Fangirl (Rainbow Rowell) - I didn't love it AS much as Eleanor & Park but I still loved it. The characters and the story were great! 4.5/5

I had 1 DNF this month:
The Other Normals


Favorite Read
The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)
Even though I didn't give this book 5 stars, this is my favorite read for June because the story was just fast paced and interesting and creepy and amazing. I couldn't put it down and the ending was OH MY GAH! I CAN'T WAIT for the second book to come out!


Favorite Cover
The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)Fangirl
 
Other Posts:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
June OUT!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, you had a great month! I only maneged to read a total of 6 books in June. Which isn't good for me.
    And congrats on reading most of your TBR pail! I can never ever stick to my TBR pail. I don't know why I keep making them.
    Happy July Reading :D

    ReplyDelete