3.21.2012

My Thoughts: DIVERGENT by veronica roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.  (amazon)



If you want a well-written synopsis or professional sounding review, you're in the wrong place.

My Thoughts:
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. It sucked me in from the first sentence, and hooked me until the last. I found the concept very interesting.  I was instantly drawn in by the writing and found the explanation of this dystopian society to be easy to understand. I would have liked some more background information about the factions and how they all originated, but I def don't hold that against the book.
I couldn't put it down.  Everyone should read this book.  Now let's talk about Four.  He's most definitely one of my new favorite bookish boys. I liked both him and Tris because they both showed just enough vulnerability.  Not too much, not too little.
My attention was kept the entire time, which is a feat in and of itself.  I'm struggling to write a half-way decent review, so let me just say this: READ IT.  I am STOKED for Insurgent.  (May 1st)

Favorite Lines:
 "I feel like there is a bubble in my chest that expands more by the second, threatening to break me apart from the inside."

"Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames."

"Why do people want to pretend that death is sleep? It isn't. It isn't."

"I have never been carried around by a large boy, or laughed until my stomach hurt at the dinner table, or listened to the clamor of a hundred people all talking at once. Peace is restrained; this is free."

Bottom Line: Divergent is one of those books that as soon as I read the last word I squealed in glee. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment