4.02.2012

My Thoughts: Touch of Power (Maria V. Snyder)

Touch of Power (Healer, #1)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
(Goodreads summary)



My Thoughts: It's no secret that Maria's Poison Study series is one of my favorites.  After reading her Inside Out series I was a bit let down. Going into this book I was excited and hopeful.  I'm happy to report.. Maria is BACK ya'll!

  I just loved the general idea of this book, a girl touched with the power to heal people not just by taking their sickness into herself, but also their suffering. The main character Avry has qualities that would make me proud to call her my friend. She's brave and tough and selfless. She puts others before herself even though it could cost her her life. I also loved the fact that she is 20 years old, which makes her more relatable to me.

The writing style itself was reminiscent of The Poison Study books, and was easy to follow. I was definitely pulled into the story.  There's peace lily's, death lily's, 11 different types of magicians, and magic sniffers.  Action and adventure, comedy and sadness, betrayal and hope, love and heartache.

What I loved most about this book are the characters. Sometimes supporting characters leave a lot to be desired and just annoy rather then add anything special. So not the case here. The supporting characters add a LOT to this book, and I was just as invested in their lives. One of my favorite characters was Belen, aka Poppa Bear. He was a source of comedy and true-hearted goodness. I also loved the fact that there was no unrealistic insta-love-at-first-sight, but a gradual build-up of feelings. Sometimes the tension between 2 people makes the best read.   And then there's Kerrick. Oh Kerrick, you really know how to make a girl crazy.

Bottom Line: My faith is restored!! I can't wait for book #2.
                          4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment